Everybody needs a bucket list—a list of your dreams—of all the great things you want to do before you die.
Of course, everybody’s list is different. Nobody can’t tell you what to put on yours.
The best bucket list ideas come from knowing who you are, what you’re interested in, and what you want to accomplish.
Here are 10 possibilities.
1. Learn Something New
Are you the curious type? Always into learning something new? These bucket list ideas can get you started:
- How about learning yoga or massage?
- Bartending class might be fun.
- Or brush up your digital skills with classes in Photoshop or digital photography.
- Ever want to be a pickpocket (as a magician only, of course)?
- If you’re a throttle jockey or would like to be one, take a class to learn about motorcycles.
2. Complete a Big Personal Goal
If you’ve been putting off starting that one big thing, here are some ideas:
- Publish a book.
- Start a company.
- Run a marathon.
- Fly a plane.
- Learn a foreign language.
3. Feed Your Passion
What’s the thing you’d rather be doing? Bucket list ideas for art, music, and theater lovers:
- Love music? Join a choir or a band. Tour famous opera houses like the Sydney Opera House, Lincoln Center in New York, the Staatsoper in Vienna. Visit Bayreuth during the Wagner festival.
- Theater buff? Put on a show or write a play. See shows on Broadway in NYC or the West End in London.
- Love art? Learn to paint. Take an art and architecture tour. Volunteer at your local art museum. Visit the Mona Lisa in Paris.
4. Party with the Best
If you’re a true good-time Charlie or Charlene, try these bucket list ideas:
- Be in New Orleans during Mardi Gras time.
- Visit Rio de Janeiro during the Carnival.
- Take in the Oktoberfest in Munich.
- Tour the pubs in Ireland and make new friends for life.
5. Research the Past
If you’re fascinated with past cultures and history, consider ideas:
- Into anthropology? Visit ancient ruins like Machu Picchu in Peru, Angkor Wat in Cambodia, the pyramids of Giza in Egypt.
- Interested in religion? Go to Old Jerusalem. Walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain. Visit sites like the Lotus Temple in New Delhi, the Hagia Sophia in Turkey or the Meiji Shrine in Japan.
6. Go Wild
For back-to-nature types, some great notions:
- Live for a month in the wilderness.
- Visit the Arctic Circle and Antarctica.
- Hike famous trails like the Appalachian Trail, the Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim or the Pacific Crest Trail.
- See the Aurora Borealis.
7. Find Out Where You Came From
Your own personal story began with the family who came before. Bucket list ideas:
- Book a tour of your country or countries of origin.
- Research your family tree.
- Write a memoir.
8. Life’s a Beach
If your idea of heaven is a soft, sandy beach and great ocean views, let these ideas get you started:
- Visit famous beaches. Try Dreamland Beach in Bali, or Tikehau Island, French Polynesia. Barbados, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, Hawaii—they’ve all got world-renowned beaches.
- Tour all of the Caribbean.
9. Meeting People
If you love meeting people, here are some bucket list methods:
- Learn to play a sport.
- Join clubs—book club, hobby club, activity club.
- Join Meetups online.
- Give parties.
- Go to the gym.
10. For Foodies
People who love food used to be called gourmets, or gastronomes, or gourmands. Today they’re just foodies. If food is your thing, here are some ideas:
- Travel to San Francisco for oysters, Barcelona for tapas, Oaxaca for moles, Maine for clams, and Tokyo for the best sushi of your life.
- Become a gourmet cook.
Your Bucket List Is Yours to Enjoy
Whatever your bucket list ideas, you need the time and money to turn your wishes into goals.